Someone on one of the groups recently asked why anyone would choose to participate in a traveling journal project since they didn’t get anything to keep at the end of it. Here’s some of the reasons I wanted to do this:
- I get to see and touch other artists’ work
- My art gets exposed to a wider audience than if I just posted it on this site
- It’s posted anonymously so I can get completely honest feedback and critiques
- It forces me to be disciplined and complete work by a deadline
- It helps build my resume (so to speak) of successful collaborative projects
- An established artist gets to know me and my work, which could lead to other projects in the future.
- It’s a slightly different form of expression than what I usually do (art journaling vs. altered books) so it’s a creative stretch for me
- I get to let go of my art, rather than hoarding it till I no longer know what to do with it.